Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

Afghans

Crispy, buttery concoctions that simply melt in your mouth.. And one of the easiest recipes!
Good choice for someone that is just starting baking.
So this is a recipe out of New Zealand that I found i because of my friend in a British cookbook... I often get lazy to be very frank, find icing to be an unnecessary step.. So just a little titbit, the icing is optional especially if you are like me and don't really a sweet-tooth...


Yields: Give or take 24 cookies.


Ingredients

  1. 175 g Unsalted Butter (melted)
  2. 1/2 cups of Sugar
  3. 3 tbsp of Cocoa Powder
  4. 1 1/4 cups of All-Purpose Flour
  5. 2 cups of Cornflakes
  6. 1/4 tsp Salt


Icing

  1. Dark Chocolate*
  2. Walnut Halves or Pecans**


Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Take a large mixing bowl and place the sugar and cocoa powder in it. Whisk the butter in until they are a homogenous mixture.
  3. Slowly whisk the flour in ensuring that there are no lumps.
  4. Fold the cornflakes into this mixture  
  5. Either grease an oven tray or line with baking paper/parchment.
  6. Using a tablespoon, spoon mounds of the mixture (make sure none are too close to each other). Press them down slightly so that you have a crushed pingpong ball instead of actual pingpong balls.
  7. Bake these at 180°C for 15 minutes of until set.
  8. Set aside on a wire rack or the like to cool.


Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • ICING
    • Do this while your cookies are cooling.
    • Melt the chocolate in a bowl 
    • Take the cooled cookie and dip one side into the chocolate to coat the top side.
    • Put either a walnut half or a pecan on the chocolate before it sets.
    • Set the cookie aside to let the chocolate set.
    • Et voilĂ ! Technically, only now are you done...


*You can also use white or milk chocolate. It's all about preference.
**I find that walnuts and pecans go the best but you can use almonds or the like too! Again- preference. Walnuts are the traditional/conventional choice.

Comments