Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

Bombay Toast

It's like French Toast. But better. Because it's not sweet.

Yields: Breakfast for 1.


Ingredients

  1. 2 (chicken) eggs (quail might be asking for trouble)
  2. Splash of milk (I really don't know how much I use but I think it's in the area of 1.5-2 tbsp)
  3. Bread. What I use:
    • Regular breakfast- regular multigrain 
    • Fancy breakfast- baguette*
    • Forgetful breakfast- whatever bread I grabbed while I was grocery shopping 10 minuted before the shop closed from a very poor collection. I have even used hotdog buns once out of sheer desperation.
  4. Any oil or butter to grease pan


Seasoning

  1. Salt
  2. Pepper
  3. Maggi seasoning (for me this is a must, but obviously optional for you)
  4. Chilli powder
  5. Cumin powder
  6. Coriander (like fresh. You can replace with the powder but it doesn't feel as good.)


Instructions

  1. Get a large bowl and crack the eggs in. Lightly beat with either a whisk or chopsticks (some people use forks too).
  2. Add the splash of milk. NOTE: if you are planning on using baguette add more milk. Whisk again.
  3. Add all the seasoning on the list other than the herb. Whisk well.
  4. Finely chop the coriander (using the stalks of the herb adds more flavour so don't throw them away) and add to the mixture and just lightly fold it in.
  5. Put the pan/skillet on medium heat and grease it well. Non-stick pans are always a good idea.
  6. TIME TO GET DIRTY:
    • Option Regular and Forgetful Breakfast: Dunk your slice of bread into the mixture and make sure it is well coated before transferring it to the pan. Do one slice at a time and work quickly with the coating because the bread may fall apart if you linger.
    • Option Fancy Breakfast: Dunk the slices into the mixture and coat them well and this time, let them linger. Baguette is quite different because of its crust which provides more structural integrity, which means that if you transfer immediately, the insides would be a bit on the dry side. Let them soak for 30 seconds for a regular texture and a whole minute for a spongy/cake-y feel and then transfer to the pan.
  7. Turn the toasts when they start browning a bit.
  8. Et voilĂ ! The hard part's done!


Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • Usually, I have the tiniest bit of the egg mixture left and it's not enough for a while slice. I make a small omelet out of it. Don't just toss the poor thing away.
  • Can be garnished with more herbs of your preference
  • Goes well when served with any hot sauce. or even sour cream.
  • Melt a slice of any cheese of your preference. I tend to use Gouda or Jong or Camembert if I have it.
  • I lied a lot in this post. I don't do breakfast. Too much work far too early. I do brunch. Or lunch. Or even dinner. This is really not something that is meant only for breakfast. Honest.


*Make sure the baguette is sliced evenly or you just tripled your own work. About 1 cm or .5 inch slices is what I stick to.

Comments