Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

Spinach, Corn & Cheese Filling

Make it on a lazy Sunday and you have a go-to quick meal for a week!

Yields: More than enough for a week's worth of quick lunches.


Ingredients

  1. 500 g spinach*
  2. Lots of garlic- minced (I use minimum 6 cloves because I must.) 
  3. 100 g can of Sweet Corn
  4. Butter (Oil will do too ¯\_()_/¯ )
  5. 50 g Gorgonzola
  6. 50 g Jong Cheese** (or Cheddar will do too)


Seasoning

  1. Salt
  2. Pepper
  3. Chilli(s) (Jalapeños work great)


Instructions

  1. Prepare your spinach*.
    • Get a pot and fill it with water and bring to a boil. Prepare a bowl with ice water on the side.
    • Add some salt.
    • When the water is at a boil, add the spinach in. 
    • I leave it in for 10-20 seconds.
    • Either grab the spinach with tongs or strain the water out and add the spinach to the ice bath so that it stops cooking. 
    • You now have blanched spinach. Yay.
    • Now just put this blanched spinach on a chopping board and just roughly chop into your preferred size.
  2. Get a sauce pan and melt the butter in it (medium heat). Don't let it brown. Add the minced garlic and stir.
  3. Add all the seasoning and stir.
  4. Add the spinach in and stir well to ensure that there are no bits of spinach that are unseasoned. TASTE to make sure that it is all well seasoned.
  5. Add the rinsed corn and stir.
  6. Take the sauce pan off the heat and stir in the gorgonzola so that it melts into the hot spinach mixture. 
  7. Grate the Jong cheese in and stir to make a homogenous mixture. Put back on heat (medium low) if needed.
  8. Add more of any of the cheeses if you feel like it!
  9. Et voilà! The hard part's done!


Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • I usually just put this in toast sandwiches. I once made it for dad with an omelet added in and he loved it. I also put it inside an omelet. He also liked that.
  • One of my favourite ways of eating this is making a Bombay Toast Sandwich.
  • It's literally a filling. Very versatile. Good in almost anything.
  • I've tried using this as a sauce for my gnocchi. It wasn't terrible but I felt like it was missing something. 


*I often just buy frozen spinach because it is technically more nutritious and easier to work with since I skip the troublesome steps (all of step 1).
**You just need any stringy cheese. To be honest- You can use any cheese you prefer. I just like this combo A LOT.

Comments