Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

Tabbouleh

A Lebanese parsley salad that I basically turned into Lime Central with some parsley as a stop on the way.

Yields: My perfect portion for a full dinner.


Ingredients

  1. Large bushel of Curly-leaf parsley- roughly chopped.
  2. 3 Tomatoes- finely diced*
  3. 1 Red Onion- finely diced
  4. 1/2 cup Cucumber- finely diced
  5. 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
  6. (Extra/Virgin) Olive Oil


Seasoning

  1. Salt 
  2. Pepper
  3. 2 limes**


Instructions

  1. Thoroughly wash the bulgur wheat until the water runs clear (like you would with rice)
  2. Soak the wheat in warm water, cover it and set aside while prepping the vegetables. The soak takes about 30 minutes.
  3. After the soaking is done, Drain all the water away and use a cheese cloth or muslin to squeeze all the water from the wheat and ensure that it is as dry as humanly possible.
  4. In a large bowl, put in the now drained bulgur wheat and squeeze the juice of 1 lime. I like to let this sit for a minute to let the bulgur soak up a bit of the lime juice.
  5. Add the tomatoes, parsley, cucumber, red onion and a splash of olive oil. 
  6. Add the juice of the second lime and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  7. TASTE and see if you want that third lime's juice. I would.
  8. Mix well.
  9. Et voilĂ ! You have accomplished what you set out to do.


Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • Chaat Masala really enhances the flavour, if you have some, add some!
  • This recipe works out great even if you don't add the red onion and cucumber.
  • If you must, lemons also are okay but I like limes better. So much better. So sue me.
  • Finely chopped coriander and mint leaves also are a nice addition to the salad. Obviously, they aren't compulsory. 


*I absolutely love tomatoes so I use up to 4 tomatoes most of the time.
**Same as before, I adore limes so I use up to 3, sometimes 4 limes.

Comments