Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

(Blue) Chocolate Chip Cookies

Does anyone else remember the signature dishes of Percy Jackson's mother?? If you do, you would remember that they had one common characteristic. They were all blue.
The first time I made these cookies, I was actually driven because I had just (re)read that part in the Lightening Thief and I was like, "I must have. I must make." (Yes, I regressed to caveman.)
Hence- here's my blue chocolate chip cookies. You can make just chocolate chip cookies too, I guess. But do you have to?

Yields: 35 large cookies.


Ingredients


  1. 3 cups of All-Purpose Flour + extra for rolling the dough out
  2. 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
  3. 1/2 tsp Salt
  4. 220 g Unsalted Butter
  5. 1 cup Sugar
  6. 1 large Egg
  7. 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  8. 1/4 tsp Blue Food Colouring
  9. Chocolate Chips- get as much as you prefer...


Instructions

  • Making the dough:
    1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
    2. Take another large bowl and beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
    3. In this mixture of sugary butter, beat in the first the vanilla extract and food colouring and then the egg. Make sure you don't overdo the whisking.
    4. Now slowly combine the two to make a smooth dough. Use lower speeds on an electric beater, if that is what you were using.
    5. Slightly flatten the dough ball so that it can sit well, and wrap it in cling film so as to not dry out the dough. Let this chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.*
  • Preheat oven to 180ºC.
  • Rolling out the dough and shaping it:
    1. To make rolling out the dough easier, do this in portions that are doable to you.
    2. Place the dough between baking paper that is well coated with flour to avoid stickage**.
    3. Roll the dough into 0.5 cm thickness. Dust on extra flour as and when needed. 
    4. This is when I spread out my chocolate chips onto one half of the dough. Then fold the dough onto the side with the chocolate chips and cover this flattened out dough with plastic or cling film and let it chill for 10 minutes. This is to make the cookies extra chocolate-y in the inside as well. This step is entirely skippable if you don't want there to be that much chocolate.
    5. Now take the dough out and roll out into 0.3 cm (or 1/8 inch) thickness. 
    6. Lay on the chocolate chips at the density that you prefer and lightly push them them into the rolled out dough. 
    7. Take your cookie cutter and go to town! I use a large round one but that's just preference!
    8. Place cut out cookies onto a baking tray that is already lined with fitting baking paper.
  • Place baking tray into preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Bake until the edges start hardening.
  • Let the baked cookies sit on the baking tray for a couple of minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to further cool.
  • Et voilá! You have made the globally acknowledged, "best-snack-ever"!


Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • I got zilch. I eat them as it when they are still warm.


*This dough can be stored for up to a month the freezer. Just make sure that is fell wrapped in cling film.
**No, that isn't a real word. Sue me.

Comments