Skip to main content

My Way Of Seasoning Anything

Before you use one of my recipes, do skim through this post just to be safe in terms of my seasoning habits... Or you might just make either bland food or something as salty as the sea! I don't do measurements for seasoning and spices. It's all about the mood and my own likes and dislikes. A nice way of putting it is that I'm, 'artistic'. The real way of putting it is that I'm reckless... Unless I'm making a dish for someone else, I rarely stick to using the same spices each time.. The number of times I've an extra gingery dish or something too cinnamon-ey is not even worth calculating at this point... I'm getting off-point here but what I mean to tell you is that I have a very wide selection of spices and I really do try to use them in every way. And that means that I come up with combinations that are often new or just not widely used as far as I know... Or they just taste off. You can't always win and that's an important lesson. In

Cinnamon Cookies

So, unlike chocolate chip cookies, I like these to have a bit of a crunch to them... They honestly are some of my favourite snacks to keep ready in the house...

Yields: 32 regular adult sized ones... I use tiny cutters, so really, the potential is limitless... (╯▽╰)


Ingredients

  1. 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour (sifted) + More for rolling the dough out.
  2. 1 cup of Sugar
  3. 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  4. 1/4 tsp Salt
  5. 1/2 tsp Powdered Cinnamon
  6. 1 large Egg
  7. 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
  8. 1 tsp Vanilla Extract


Instructions

  • Making the dough:
    1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Set this aside.
    2. Grab another large bowl and whisk the butter and sugar until they are fluffy and aerated. Using an electric whisk or beater will definitely make your life easier.
    3. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract into the buttery mixture.
    4. Now slowly combine these two mixtures. Go at a low speed on the electric beater to get a smother result.
    5. Divide this combined dough into two and forming disk-like shapes, wrap each in cling film and let this refrigerate. This requires a minimum of an hour to completely chill.*
  • Before you start rolling and cutting the dough, you can preheat the oven to 170ºC and prepare and baking tray that is lined with a fitting baking paper.
  • Rolling out the cookies:
    1. Place one of the two disks that you have chilled between two sheets of baking paper that have been generously dusted with flour. This is because chilled dough is easier to work with; and using the baking paper to roll it out ensures that it is rolled out evenly without sticking to any surface.
    2. Roll out the though to about 0.3 cm thickness (1/8 of an inch) while dusting with flour as and when needed. If the dough starts softening, pop that back into the refrigerator and chill for another 10 minutes.
    3. Now use cookie cutters to to cut out the shapes and place them onto the prepped baking tray. Make sure that none of them are too close to one another.
  • I like to coat the cookies on the pan with a light dusting of confectioners sugar- but that is very optional
  • Insert this pan, that has the cut-out cookies, into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes (or until the edges are golden).
  • When the cookies are done, let them cool for at least a minute before transferring onto a wire-rack to further rest and cool.
  • Et voilá! You have homemade cookies!!
Garnish/Serving Tips & Tricks

  • I like colours. So when I'm making the buttery mix (before adding the flour mixture in), I add a few droplets of the food colouring that I have on hand to make the cookies more fun.
  • You can always use any of the other decorations or candy that you like. Remember to stick these onto the cookies only after they have baked and cooled. You can use a sugar concoction (1/2 cup confectioners sugar or powdered sugar for a every tsp of water) to actually stick them on.


*VERY IMPORTANT: This dough doesn't have to be used immediately. Use how much ever you need for a batch of cookies and store the rest by wrapping it in cling film ad placing it in the freezer. This dough can last up to a month.

Comments